Leaving a gift in your Will
It is easy to make or alter a Will, and most charitable donations in the UK are free from inheritance tax. So making a gift to us in your Will, however small, is a simple and cost-effective way to show you care for the St Peter’s and all it stands for.
The PCC of St Peter’s Church, St Albans is a registered charity (number 1131571) and welcomes gifts in Wills.
Why make a Will?
Although it is easy to put it off, the decision to make a Will and to keep it up to date is likely to:
- Set your mind at rest and ensure your assets go to the people and causes closest to your heart
- Make life easier for those you leave behind by avoiding confusion and misunderstanding
Why consider St Peter’s Church?
- You may have practical, family or emotional links with St Peter’s – perhaps you’ve been here for a wedding or other special service, attended as a member of the congregation or worked as a volunteer.
- Maybe you value the presence of St Peter’s church – one of the city’s three ancient ‘Gateway’ churches in St Albans.
- Or you may just want to show your support for our work.
- Whatever your reason, you’ll be making an enduring legacy to this ancient and special place that will help ensure its future.
How we manage legacies
- Gifts received from Wills will be allocated to a legacy fund.
- When the time comes, representatives of the PCC will, if possible, discuss with executors the donor’s known areas of interest (e.g. music, buildings, children’s work, mission/aid) to use the gift most effectively with reference to current needs and projects.
- An appropriate form of acknowledgement will be discussed with the donor or executors. A request for a gift to remain anonymous will be honoured.
- Any correspondence with a donor or executors will remain confidential, except for information required for statutory records.
How to proceed
- If you wish to support us in this way, all you need to do is:
- Instruct your solicitor or bank, whoever draws up your Will for you.
- If you already have a Will, arrange for a codicil (a supplement) to be drawn up.
- Many people decide to keep things simple by expressing their gift as a percentage of their estate rather than a fixed sum.
- We’d be happy to talk to you further about making a gift in favour of St Peter’s church in your Will.
Find out more
If you would like to have a discussion about legacies, please contact the Church Office on tel 01727 855485.